The case against exercise
So exercise fails. Do we have a better idea?
Yes, in fact we do.
The answer is authentic, joyful, functional movement.
For those who have never seen or experienced it, authentic movement looks and feels nothing like exercise:
- Exercise tends to be single plane; functional movement is multi-joint and multi-plane.
- Exercise is monotonous; movement is engaging.
- Exercise is specialized; movement is diverse.
- Exercise is scripted; movement is authentic and intuitive.
- Exercise is performed according to a program; movement is opportunistic.
- Exercise feels mechanized and forced; movement feels expressive and creative.
- Exercise is a means towards an end; movement is an end in itself.
Movement is better because it’s expansive and offers more options for physical creativity and expression. There’s more possibility and more room for the imagination. It’s more inviting, more engaging. And best of all, it’s less adversarial.